Monthly Archives: December 2011

Holiday Hazards Part 3

Here is the final 3 in our Holiday Hazards series hope these tips help.

* The Christmas tree is full of hazards for dogs and cats. Tinsel or ornaments can be appealing, but if ingested, it can twist up in the intestines. This is a particular danger to cats and kittens, which seem to find tinsel, yarn, ribbon, and string tempting to eat. Make sure Christmas lights and electrical cords are out of reach of your pet and child because we all know electric shock can be deadly.

* With the weather getting colder another thing to keep in mind is antifreeze ingestion. It has a sweet taste that will often be very inviting to dogs/cats. Even ingesting very small amounts (teaspoons to tablespoons) can cause acute kidney failure. Signs of antifreeze ingestion vary but can include drunken-like behavior, vomiting, increased, drinking and urinating, eventually followed by no urine production. Delaying treatment by even a few hours can be the difference between life and death, so if you think there is a chance that your pet got into any, please take them to your veterinarian immediately.  

Holiday Hazards Part 2

Here is part 2 in our Holiday Hazards series keep an eye out for the last part coming at the end of the week.

* With the holidays here there will be lots of tantalizing bones, but don’t feed them to your pet. Small bones/ bone chips can get lodged in the throat, stomach, and intestinal tract. Chewing bones can also fracture your pet’s teeth.

* Keep a watchful eye on the holiday plants (Ivy, holly, mistletoe, lillies, and poinsettias). While they might smell and look engaging to the eye, they can be very toxic to animals when ingested.

* Before sharing your holiday candy with your pet, beware that chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats and may be deadly to a little dog/cat that gets a good size piece. 

Holiday Hazards Part 1

While you are making plans for the Holidays, please keep in mind these holiday hazards: The bad news is that many pets will end up at the veterinarian’s office this holiday season. The good news is that yours won’t be among them if you keep an eye out for these hazards. In the next few day we will be posting a 3 part blog about the different hazards to watch for.

*  Feeding foods that are too rich, fatty, or spicy (or anything your pet’s not accustomed to) can trigger a bout of intestinal upset. For some animals, the treats can trigger a serious inflammation of the pancreas or intestine. While a little bit of meat, beef, or poultry won’t hurt and would be appreciated, steer clear of the fatty parts and the poultry skin, which also harbors fat.