Monthly Archives: March 2012

Lilies, the Lethal Beauty

Most cat owners don’t know it, but lilies are lethally toxic to cats.  In fact, they’re so poisonous that a cat can suffer fatal kidney failure just from biting into a lily leaf or petal, licking lily pollen from its paws, or drinking water from a vase with cut lilies in it.  All members of the Lilium group produce a chemical—present in all parts of the plant—that can damage cat kidneys, but Easter lilies, stargazer lilies, and Asiatic lilies seem to be the most hazardous. (Calla lilies and peace lilies are not of the Lilium group, and are harmless to cats.) Some cats appear to be more susceptible than others to lily toxicity, and the severity of the resulting kidney failure also varies from cat to cat. Some poisoned cats recover with minimal therapy, while others require costly dialysis to live long enough for the kidneys to repair themselves.   If you think your cat may have chewed on or ingested lily, don’t wait for signs of illness— seek veterinary care immediately.

Veterinary Assistants

Our veterinary assistants are essential to the smooth operation of the practice.  The veterinary assistants work side by side with the veterinary technicians and doctors. The veterinary assistants have a high level of valuable experience and training in animal handling, nursing care, treatment procedures, laboratory work, radiology and surgical assisting.

Rufus May Like His Toys a Little Too Much

Rufus was brought into the hospital for vomiting, not really wanting to eat,and lethargy. After chatting with his Owner’s we found out that Rufus had a history of eating toys.  We took x-rays for Rufus and you can see that there was an obvious obstruction.

 After going in for an abdominal explore, Dr. Luikart was able to surgically remove this toy ball from Rufus. He did great the next day and went home later that night. ♥